Monday, January 25, 2010

Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting (for Australia Day!)



Yesterday was Australia Day! Before the drinking and barbecuing began, I churned out some special Aussie cupcakes. I ate a fair few in order to pad my stomach for the afternoon's heavy alcohol consumption-- so I can happily report that the verdict is... nummy!

The cupcakes are my usual vanilla cupcake recipe, which is here. And guess what flavor the frosting is! GUESS GUESS GUESS! It's LEMON! Ohmigoodness.

Everything went fairly smoothly. I put too much lemon juice in the frosting, so I had to add more butter and sugar-- but stick to what the recipe calls for and you'll be fine. If you want them extra-lemony, add extra zest, not juice.

At one point, I felt like a fraud when I called a mini cupcake a 'little shit' (it kept falling over, but in retrospect, that was probably my fault for making it so top-heavy with all that frosting). But immediately felt remorseful and said, 'No you're not a little shit, you're lemony and perfect.'

Lemon Buttercream Frosting
(from Cupcakes by Martha Swift and Lisa Thomas)
1/2 cup butter, soft
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Zest from 2 lemons
2 cups icing sugar

1. Beat butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, and half the icing sugar
2. Gradually add remaining icing sugar, and beat well

I think maybe double the recipe. Or halve my cupcake recipe. Cause I know you don't want to have to be stingy with the frosting.


Aussie flag, coat of arms, and silhouette.


HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!

1 comment:

  1. Jo,

    I am going to make these cupcakes tonight, for Simon to take to cricket to have at 'tea time'. A manly snack to eat during a manly sport!!

    I'll let you know how I go!

    - Zoe

    ReplyDelete